IELTS – Globally Accepted English Language Test for Study, Work, and Migration
IELTS or the International English Language Testing System is designed to help people work, study, or migrate to a country where English is the native language. It includes countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, and the UK. Your ability to read, write, listen, and speak English will be evaluated during the test. IELTS is jointly owned by the Cambridge Assessment English, British Council, and IDP: IELTS Australia. Continue reading to learn more about IELTS and its score scale.
What Is IELTS?
IELTS is an English language test for those who want to migrate, work, or study in an English-speaking country. More than three million people take this test every year, and it is accepted by 11,000+ companies, schools, universities, and immigration bodies across the globe.
You have to demonstrate a high English language ability if you want to work, study, or live in an English-speaking country. You can prove your ability to communicate in the native language of the country by scoring higher in the IELTS exam. It is also essential to get better job opportunities.
IELTS Score Scale
IELTS is graded on a scale of 1-9. Here’s what every band score says about the test taker.
- Band score 9: Scoring 9 on the IELTS exam means you are an expert user with fully operational command of the language.
- Band score 8: Scoring 8 means you are an excellent user of the English language.
- Band score 7: It means that the test taker has operational command of the language, and he/she is a good user of the English language.
- Band score 6: People who score 6 on IELTS exams are competent users who have an adequate command of the language despite some misunderstandings, inaccuracies, and inappropriate usage.
- Band score 5: Test takers who score 5 in the IELTS exams are modest users who have partial command of the language and can cope with most situations.
- Band score 4: People who score 4 on IELTS exams are limited users who have basic competence in English that is limited to familiar situations only.
- Band score 3: Test takers who score 3 in the IELTS exams are minimal users who only understand the general meaning in very familiar situations.
- Band score 2: People who score 2 are intermittent users who have great difficulty reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English.
- Band score 1: People with a band score of 1 are non-users who cannot use the language except a few isolated words.
- Band score 0: A person can only score zero if he/she doesn’t answer any question.
Each immigration body, international school, university, institution, or office will have specific IELTS score requirements. The score you need will vary on what you are looking to do in the country. With us, you can score IELTS bands 7 & 8 via our IELTS online course. English Experts is a leading training and coaching centre offering world-class online IELTS classes. Book your IELTS class now and take the first step towards achieving your dream score.